What is the municipal register?

It is the administrative register where the neighbors and neighbors of the municipality are recorded. Their data constitute proof of residence and habitual domicile in the municipality.

Any person living in the Spanish State is required to register in the register of the municipality in which he or she habitually resides. A person living in several municipalities must register only in the one where he or she lives for a longer period of time per year.

Registering allows you to:

Access the public health system. More information.

Access the Social Services network. More information.

Access the education system (for children under 16). More information.

Demonstrate your continued stay in the Spanish state, necessary to regularize your administrative situation through arraigo. More information.

Renewal of the registration. If you are a non-EU foreigner without a permanent residence permit, you must renew your registration every 2 years. If you do not renew it you will lose seniority, and this is essential to regularize your administrative situation.

It is illegal to charge for registering: registering is a free process.

WHERE IT IS PROCESSED. In the relevant City Council. In Pamplona, in the Office of Citizen Attention (Calle Mayor 2, ground floor), requesting an appointment by phone (010), or telematically through the municipal website.

DOCUMENTATION TO BE PRESENTED. Documentation in force proving the identity of the person to be registered:

– Any of these documents (original or copy): DNI or NIE, Spanish State driver’s license, foreign card or passport. For this purpose, the passport is valid even if you do not have a visa; in any case, if you do not have a passport, try to register yourself. If the document (whatever it is) has expired, it is sufficient to provide the request for renewal.

 – In the case of a non-emancipated minor, a document certifying the filiation and representation of the minor must be presented: family book or birth certificate.

– If the procedure is carried out on behalf of the person concerned, the authorization signed by the person concerned and a photocopy of the identity document must be shown.

Documentation proving actual residence in the dwelling or place. The original or copy of any document proving the person’s relationship to that site is sufficient:

– If you have bought a house, the original or copy of the deed of purchase.

– If you live in a rented house, original or copy of the lease. If the owner does not want to make you a written contract, the verbal contract is also valid, and in any case the key of the house serves to prove that you live in that address. And if the owner or landlord does not want to facilitate the registration process, you must go to the Basic Social Service that is appropriate for the worker or social worker to manage the procedure after checking that you live in a place. If the register is not processed by Social Services, a complaint can be filed.

– If you do not have a rental or property title, you can present water, electricity or gas phone receipts or other items such as letters or communications received at a given address. Municipalities should not enter into matters of property or rent, but only in the fact of actual residence in the place.

– If you live at the home of a friend, friend or family member, you can go with the person who has the rental or purchase contract, or provide original and copy of your identity card along with a signed document that authorizes you to register at your home.

In case you cannot present any documents at the Basic Social Services, you can request a report to the local police to make an inspection and check the reality of the actual residence in a home or, if applicable, elsewhere: if the person is on the street and no evidence is available, a report by the municipal social worker certifying the street situation or precariousness may be attached.


You can also contact us for help: pim.irunea@gmail.com.


Law 7/1985, of 2 April, regulating the Bases of the Local Regime (articles 15 to 17). Developed by Royal Decree 1690/1986 of 11 July, Population and Demarcation Regulations (articles 60 to 92). The registration in the municipal register of persons residing in the municipality who do not have a domicile in the municipality may be carried out only after having notified the competent Social Services in the geographical area where that person resides.

Resolution of April 29, 2020, of the Undersecretary, publishing the Resolution of February 17, 2020, of the Presidency of the National Institute of Statistics and of the General Directorate of Regional and Local Cooperation, issuing technical instructions to municipalities on the management of the municipal register.

The content of this page is purely informational. We thank you if you communicate any error or lack of information to us.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *